Can I just say, I frickin’ love watermelon? Now that it’s the summer, it’s in season, and I’ve gotten a pretty strong craving for this delicious melon…all the time. Not only is it delicious, but it’s super hydrating. For my vegan meal, I kept it simple (because that’s what I’m all about) and eat a giant bowl of it. I always have to pee so many times afterward, but it is so worth it.
Rather than giving you a recipe for this one (because duh, it’s watermelon. You can’t really go wrong with that), I decided to give you some ideas of creative ways to eat it.
Six ways to eat a watermelon
- Popsicles! This is my personal favorite. The other day I cut the watermelon in half then into thin strips by cross-hatching as it’s facedown. Each chunk of watermelon will have a little rind for holding if you cut it correctly. No need for toothpicks or popsicle stick. Freeze overnight in a gallon Ziploc.
- Melon-ball it – simple as it sounds. Use a melon-baller to create little balls of goodness.
- Otai – This is a Polynesian drink that I LOVE. Seriously, to die for. Mix stripped watermelon (I use a fork), pineapple, water, coconut, and sugar. It usually has milk, but you could substitute with a nut milk.
- Add it to a green salad – Spruce up your salads with watermelon. Here’s an idea to get you started from One Green Planet.
- Infused water – Infused waters are so refreshing and hydrating. Try watermelon, mint, and lime in a glass of water. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and wake up to some delicious water in the morning.
- Fruit salad – Cut it up and mix with cut up strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and any other fruit. Top with lime juice to keep the colors fresh.
Obviously, there are a lot of ways you can eat this seriously awesome fruit. If you’re really creative, you can find countless other ways to eat it. Either way, just try something new. Life is all about experimenting.
Love as always,
Read other posts on the vegan challenge: